The popularity of social networking sites continues to increase, especially
among teenagers and young adults. The nature of these sites introduces
security risks, so you should take certain precautions.
How can you protect yourself?
* Limit the amount of personal information you post
* Remember that the internet is a public resource
* Be wary of strangers – Consider limiting the people who are allowed to contact you on these sites.
* Be skeptical – Don’t believe everything you read online.
* Evaluate your settings – Take advantage of a site’s privacy settings.
* Use strong passwords – Protect your account with passwords that cannot easily be guessed. (see passwords a little easier.. for more information).
* Check privacy policies – Some sites may share information such as email
addresses or user preferences with other companies.
* Use and maintain anti-virus software ( see Safe Surfing for more info.)