There are some simple habits you can adopt that, if performed consistently,
may dramatically reduce the chances that the information on your computer
will be lost or corrupted.
* Lock your computer when you are away from it.
* Disconnect your computer from the Internet when you aren’t using it.
* Evaluate your security settings. Most software, including browsers and
email programs, offers a variety of features that you can tailor to meet
your needs and requirements.
What other steps can you take?
Sometimes the threats to your information aren’t from other people but from
natural or technological causes. Although there is no way to control or
prevent these problems, you can prepare for them and try to minimize the
* Protect your computer against power surges and brief outages.
* Back up all of your data.
Authors: Mindi McDowell, Allen Householder